- 1 Interface
- 2 General
- 2.1 @ : How do I enter a locked house? Just for academic interest, mind you...
- 2.2 @ : How can I drink water without puking all my hard earned potato chips?
- 2.3 @ : How can I cook indoors and not die in the process?
- 2.4 @ : How can I empty or transfer liquids?
- 2.5 @ : I'm cold and can't sleep at night. What can I do about this?
- 2.6 @ : Yay science, and all that... but how the hell do I stop reading this book?!
- 3 Components
- 4 Enemies
- 5 Weapons
- 6 World
Frequently Asked Questions about Cataclysm DDA.
My text is all unreadable. I only see  and not normal words
You probably have a non-english default language setting in your OS. You need to go to \config\ edit the options.json file.
Look for "USE_LANG" set the value to "EN". (with no value it uses your system language).
@ : How do I enter a locked house? Just for academic interest, mind you...
You have several possibilities, depending on the tools you're carrying and the circumstances:
- Open a window or door: Occasionally you can simply pen a window or door, which is by far the easiest approach. This won't work with windows (most are designed to be opened from the inside), and it's unusual to find an unlocked door, but it doesn't hurt to try.
- Break a window: Either clean the broken window (via and ) (or mash the broken window, though this creates significant noise) before going through to avoid potentially cutting yourself. Note that cleaning the window takes a few minutes. Breaking a window creates a lot of noise. Using firearms or explosives will increase the noise even further. mash, hrow something or ire a ranged weapon at a window. Remember to
- Remove a window: Have tools with hammering 2, and screw driving 1, for example a stone hammer plus a screwdriver, will allow you to Deconstruct Furniture ( -> ), which can be used on a window to remove it.
- Pry the door or window open: If you have a tool with prying, such as a crowbar (you can craft a makeshift crowbar by hammering a pipe with a rock), you can try to pry a door or window by ctivating it and selecting the direction where the door/window is. You might need to try several times to be successful (and you might not be successful at all). Prying a door open creates low noise. Failing to pry open a window will sometimes break it, causing a lot of noise.
- Pick the lock of the door: If you have a lockpicking tool, (Improvised lockpicks can be crafted using scrap metal and a rock), you can try to force entry by picking the lock of the door, by ctivating it and selecting the direction where the door is. Success depends on your mechanics skill, and a failure can damage your picklock (and, eventually, destroy it). Picking a lock doesn't create any noise.
- Bash the door down: noise. mash the door until it breaks. A heavy tool with a good deal of bash is recommended. This is a lengthy process and you will destroy the door completely when doing so. It's only recommended as a last resort. Bashing a door down creates a lot of
@ : How can I drink water without puking all my hard earned potato chips?
You can either boil or purify any water you find. That will transform it into clean water, so you can consume it safely. Please note that the rainwater obtained from funnels, makeshift funnels, leather funnels or funnels of any kind is perfectly safe to drink (as of 0.C (Cooper), acid rain is disabled).
- Boil water: You'll need a tool with boiling 1, (for example a pot or stone pot) and some kind of heating source (such as a powered hotplate, integrated toolset or a nearby fire - gather some wood and light it with a matchbook or lighter). Then boil it by using the crafting menu ( , then Drinks->clean water). You will also need container to store the water. Such as a Plastic bottle.
- The easiest place to obtain untreated water is in toilets (found in all houses and some stores). One can retrieve water from it into a container by xaming it. If you use a hotplate all you'll need to do is to place yourself besides the toilet while carrying a receptacle to boil the water in and some liquid containers to transfer the clean water to. If you don't use a hotplate, then you'll have to find a way to transfer the water from the toilet to your fire. Your best bet, as of now, is to use gallon jugs. They are very common, so you won't have a hard time finding a gallon jug of ammonia or bleach in a house. Empty it first, refill it with water from the toilet and proceed to boil it next to your fire.
- Never drink directly from the toilet.
- You do not need to fill the pot with water: having it available as a tool and 'crafting' the clean water in the crafting menu is how you boil. If you put the pot on the ground, or wield it, you can (as of The experimental version) add water to the pot. You just can't carry it in your backpack.
- Purify water: The fastest and easiest way, but for that you'll need a water purifier. You can find them occasionally in hardware stores, but you'll probably need to craft it yourself. To purify the water all you need to do is ctivate the purifier and select the water container. The amount of batteries used in the process will depend on the capacity of the liquid container. You can also use Water purification tablets, ctivate, and select the water container, uses one tablet per unit of water.
@ : How can I cook indoors and not die in the process?
To start a fire safely, place any wood or flammable materials in the same tile the brazier or wood stove is. Once lit, the fire won't spread to other tiles.
@ : How can I empty or transfer liquids?
liquid container you want to empty or transfer. The inventory will appear, so you can choose another liquid container to transfer the liquid to. Select the corresponding inventory letter and press . If you that screen you'll be asked if you want to pour it on the ground. Say es if you want to do so. Note that you won't be able to recover poured liquids.nload the
For glass bottles of rotten milk you'll be asked to pour it on the ground right away.
Note that you don't need to be wielding a liquid container in order to unload it. The same applies to any other item type when you want to unload its "ammo" (flashlights, guns, etc).
@ : I'm cold and can't sleep at night. What can I do about this?
Gather some clothes that provide particularly high warmth (check the clothing page for that) and put them in the place you use to sleep in (or carry them with you if you're a nomad). Put the extra clothes on before going to sleep. You can also pile them up on the place you're going to sleep. Take them off when you wake up.
Check the warmth level of all your body parts in your character screen (). If all of them are green then you'll likely be able to sleep without problems, unless a sudden drop in temperature occurs while sleeping.
Being hungry, thirsty, or wet can also make you feel the cold more, so try to avoid these effects before you go to sleep.
@ : Yay science, and all that... but how the hell do I stop reading this book?!
Press the pause key (or ).
@ : This "Survival" stuff is neat, but where can I get sinews, plant fibres, bones and fur pelts?
You can get them all by pocket knife, steak knife, combat knife, etc - check the tools page for any item with a "knife" function). The more cutting damage, the faster you butcher, so a machete or combat knife are your best bet among the most common "knife" tools, followed by the butcher knife.(A Broadsword works too.)utchering creatures. To be able to butcher you'll need a knife-like tool in your inventory (
- Sinew and bones: Butcher mammals and other vertebrates (check the creatures with the BONES flag in the enemies page for a complete list).
- Plant fibre: Butcher plant-like creatures, such as triffids (particularly vinebeasts) and fungaloids.
- Fur pelts: Butcher a furry creature (check the creatures with the FUR flag in the enemies page for a complete list).
The amount of items returned when butchering will depend on your survival skill.
@ : Where can I get leather patches and rags?
- Rags: Cut any item made of cotton (like a pair of jeans or a sheet). To cut it you need to ctivate a knife-like tool in your inventory (pocket knife, steak knife, combat knife, etc - check the tools page for any item with a "knife" function), select to cut-up fabric and then choose the item in your inventory you want to cut. For t shirts and tank tops you can disassemble them instead (via ).
- Leather patches: You have the easy way and the hard way. The easy way is to cut leather items following the process mentioned above (items like purses, sneakers, leather jackets, leather pants and leather gloves, etc. Check the clothing page for a complete list). The hard way is by utchering, and tanning the resulting skin, from creatures with a thick skin (like giant frogs), or apply a knife to a fur pelt.
When cutting, the amount of rags and leather returned will depend on your tailoring skill level. When butchering, you get a skin that you need to cure into leather.
@ : Where can I get plastic chunk?
- Plastic chunk: Cut any item made of plastic, like plastic bottle, rain clothing or flashlight. Wheel removed from abandoned vehicle is also a good source, a single wheel can easily provide around 20 chunks.
@ : Where can I find a rubber hose?
@ : Zombies keep re-appearing! How impolite of them!!
Either you are playing with static spawn mode off, which spawns zombies dynamically, or you're witnessing the undead's infamous ability to not remain dead for long.
To prevent zombies from resuscitating, you'll have toutcher them once they're down. You can also cremate them, butcher them, or run them over with a truck until there's nothing left but a red pulp... use your imagination, but don't take too long.
The important thing here is that their bodies must be destroyed, one way or another, and that the sooner you do it the better.
There might also be a Zombie necromancer nearby. Might want to kill that first, else smashing or butchering corpses is going to be very hard. With them squirming away, and standing up all the time.
@ : I can't hit anything with my gun! What's happening here?!
You're either not skilled enough yet in the skill used to fire your gun, or you aren't taking the recoil effect into account. Low dexterity, or using a gun with high sight dispersion and dispersion values. Use to aim longer, this increases the confidence value.
@ : I have this whip, how do I use it at longer ranges?!
Wield it, andire it. Same for other ranged weapons.
@ : Erm... where am I?!
The New England region, in the United States.